Sunday 22 April 2007

Teeth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Originally Posted April 4, 2007
.
Teeth have been mystifying me since I got my first one. I hate teeth. Mine have caused me nothing but pain and grief my entire life. Being an adolescent with abscess after abscess along with the accompanying excruciating pain would be the first memories I would delete from my brain. If we could delete stuff from our brains.

My feelings for dentists aren’t much better than they are for teeth. Holy crap there’s the scam of the century. Completely true story. My ex-dentist, the Rotarian, happened to be working as a volunteer at my place of employment one evening. He didn’t recognize me and I really wouldn’t expect him to. Dentistry was second to his more lucrative career as an expert witness in the fight against amalgam fillings. I am thankful he chose that as his cause and I’m thankful he made it his top priority to replace the many my mouth contained, but that’s where any good feelings I have about him end.

As I was saying, he was working where I was working one night, which was a food concession, and bought up almost our complete inventory of candy. I asked him what he was going to do with it all and he responded it was for his patients. Then I said “Hello Dr. Jones”. He looked at me wondering why I knew him, I explained I had been one of his patients for the past 5 years. Perhaps he may have recognized me if I introduced myself as the dollar amount I spent.

I then told him it didn’t seem like a very good idea to me to be buying candy to give to his patients, seeing how he was a dentist and all. He didn’t appreciate my humour much, glared at me and walked away. The next time his office called for a check-up I explained I would no longer be requiring their services.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I’ve never really felt the common dream analogies regarding teeth pertain to my dreams and therein lays the mystery. I dream of teeth constantly and always have, as do many others. It’s a very popular theme.

Dreams that your teeth are falling out are the most common dreams we here at Dream Moods receive. Common dream scenarios include having your teeth crumbling in your hands or your teeth falling out one by one with just a light tap. Such dreams are not only horrifying and shocking, but often leaves the dreamer with a lasting image of the dream. So what does it mean?

One theory is that dreams about your teeth reflect your anxiety about your appearance and how others perceive you. Sadly, we live in a world where good looks are valued highly and your teeth play an important role in conveying that image. Teeth are used in the game of flirtations, whether it be a dazzling and gleaming smile or affectionate necking. These dreams may stem from a fear of your sexual impotence or the consequences of getting old. Teeth are an important feature of our attractiveness and presentation to others. Everybody worries about how they appear to others. Caring about our appearance is natural and healthy.

Another rationalization for these falling teeth dream may be rooted in your fear of being embarrassed or making a fool of yourself in some specific situation. These dreams are an over-exaggeration of your worries and anxiety.

Teeth are used to bite, tear, chew and gnaw. In this regard, teeth represent power. And the loss of teeth in your dream may be from a sense of powerlessness. Are you lacking power in some current situation? Perhaps you are having difficulties expressing yourself or getting your point across. You feel frustrated when your voice is not being heard. You may be experiencing feelings of inferiority and a lack of self-confidence in some situation or relationship in your life. This dream is an indication that you need to be more assertive and believe in the value of your own opinion.

In the latest research, it has been shown that women in menopause have frequent dreams about teeth. This may be related to getting older and/or feeling unattractive and less feminine.

Traditionally, it was thought that dreaming that you did not have teeth, represent malnutrition which may be applicable to some dreamers.

Other Perspectives

A scriptural interpretation for bad or falling teeth indicate that you are putting your faith, trust, and beliefs in what man thinks rather than in the word of God. The bible says that God speaks once, yea twice in a dream or a vision in order to hide pride from us, to keep us back from the pit, to open our ears (spiritually) and to instruct and correct us.

In the Greek culture, when you dream about loose, rotten, or missing teeth, it indicates that a family member or close friend is very sick or even near death.

According to the Chinese, there is a saying that your teeth will fall out if your are telling lies.

It has also been said that if you dream of your teeth falling out, then it symbolizes money. This is based on the old tooth fairy story. If you lose a tooth and leave it under the pillow, a tooth fairy would bring you money.

http://www.dreammoods.com/cgibin/teethdreams.pl?method=exact&header=dreamid&search=teethintro

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I’m not saying those things don’t apply to me, I certainly could use a bit more assertiveness and I don’t eat as well as I should. And who doesn’t feel a loss of control over their life or a little insecurity once in a while?

But so far, with all the teeth dreams I’ve had, no tooth fairy has left any money. Since I don’t judge books by their covers and don’t much care for those who do, putting my faith in man’s beliefs doesn’t really apply nor does anxiety over my appearance. I don’t leave the house in my pyjamas or anything, but I certainly don’t stress over hair and makeup. If people treat me badly because of that then I have no desire to know those people anyway.

No, I feel it goes much deeper than any of those explanations. I personally think something got screwed up somewhere in our evolution. I don’t think we’re meant to have teeth. Far too much surrounding teeth always leads back to nothing but sinister and evil vibes. I don’t think dentists belong to any secret society, I think they are a secret society. I’m not sure if there is any pain greater than that of a toothache, if there is, I don’t want to know about it. So right there they’ve got you. They can charge anything they want because you are literally at their mercy. We’ve all seen in the movies how effective a method of torture drilling teeth can be.

“The idea for the use of the swastika by the Nazis came from a dentist named Dr. Friedrich Krohn who was a member of the secret Germanen order. Krohn produced the design for the actual form in which the Nazis came to use the symbol, that is reversed, spinning in an anti-clockwise direction.”

The above quote is from a website no longer in existence.

On top of that the last few years have seen a barrage of commercial after commercial from the TPTB who have done all they can to convince the world that without sparkling, white, perfect teeth we are nothing. Might as well just kill everybody who doesn’t fit the mould because they must be truly loathsome human beings.

Imagine what the world would be like if we didn’t need nourishment? No more hunger is the biggie there, but no food also means no teeth which means no pain and no judgment. No internal organs to screw up, no need for two of the worst rooms to clean in your house, no need to buy 75% of the stuff we have to buy therefore no need to work at anything but keeping yourself sheltered and content. No more killing animals, no more genetically engineered crops, no more beating down your enemy by removing their food source. Now that’s my idea of paradise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I was a kid I so longed to have my teeth pulled and replaced with dentures that I used to wrap chewing gum around them and the roof of my mouth just to see what it would feel like, which probably led to the many problems I later encountered in the first place, but that seemed irrelevant at the time.

I began trying to find a dentist in my early 20’s who would pull my teeth but had no luck. At that age it was far more profitable to keep on filling and bonding and crowning me right into the poorhouse. It wasn’t until I was in my late 30’s I finally convinced a dentist to see things my way by refusing to get any more work done. Most of the teeth I had were 95% fillings and it was pointless. I will maintain to this day it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made and that man is one of my heroes. Talk about a bunch of thorns in the paw.

So apparently since birth I’ve already got this bad feeling about teeth, then I get half of mine removed and a funny thing happens. This could just be my imagination, but I feel my personal awakening coincided with precisely the same time I had all my upper teeth pulled. And that really got me wondering. I suddenly recalled the meanest lady I ever knew, a 96-year-old woman whose claim to fame was she still had all her own teeth.

What if teeth are used to control us in some way? I guess in that regard the dream analysis would be correct. What if our teeth hold all of our negative memories or work as some sort of restrictor? And maybe that’s why dentists want you to keep them for as long as possible and seal them up tighter than a drum? I kind of picture a little mechanism in our brains consisting of a sifter that filters all the bad down into our teeth where it remains until we remove it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My teeth dreams have changed a lot over the years. They started out being the popular theme of having them fall out into my hand, or spitting them out of my mouth or having them break apart right in front of my eyes. Since I’ve had them removed, the teeth dreams are usually at the end of a more bizarre dream, a dream of having been on a spaceship or in another realm. The last thing I’m often doing before I wake up is looking for my teeth or trying to figure out how they go into my mouth. Sometimes they’re broken and I believe that is simply a fear of not being able to afford a new set right now. I’m not quite ready to leave the house yet with no teeth so that would present a problem, although I would if I absolutely had to. I’ve been caught a few times without them, like when I’m on a long road trip I tend to take them out and then forget I have them out and start talking to people. And I am here to tell the tale so it wasn’t the end of the world. But in the dreams where I’m simply trying to figure out what the heck these things are, I believe I’ve been somewhere else where teeth aren’t required or necessary. My little heaven I guess.

So even though I have these theories that seem to make perfect sense to me, I still haven’t really had any confirmation on the possibility of these thoughts being correct. I know something’s up for sure and I think I’m on the right track, but with a mystery that’s been going on this long I needed some sort of verification. And along comes Miss Kitty.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Purpleaura ~ January 27, 2005

I have to tell you about a silly thing happening this morning around 2:00am. What’s interesting is this has happened about 4 times in 2 months, I wake up to hear hubby talking in his sleep of stuff I am seeing and hearing in dreams. Last night I was cracking up as I heard a voice tell me to wake up because of Miss Kitty. Suffice to say I didn't want to, it was way too early in morning. Then all of sudden at that exact time hubby starts to kick me and hit me in the arm. I was rather pissed at this. I awoke to hear banging from Miss Kitty’s room and then hubby started to talk. He kept on mentioning, "There are loads of mega-bits in her mouth", then he went quiet.

What’s interesting for example is at one stage I kept on seeing symbols and colors and being told what it was, yet I didn't say a word to hubby about the dream. Again I woke up at the exact time to hear him talking in his sleep saying, “can’t do it, I don't think that’s the right symbol". Its seems we work in tandem and when I need to hear it I wake up at exactly the same time I hear hubby talk, then he goes back to sleep. What’s up with that?

The first thing I remembered from a dream was once Miss Kitty starts talking there’s gonna be a lot of stuff coming out of her mouth, a mind of information. Spirit usually gives me advance warning of what is gonna happen. But what cracks me up, hubby has started to do this and for the life of him he doesn't remember waking me up last night. Needless to say I had a lack of sleep last night.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Miss Scarlet ~ March 4, 2006

In this dream last night I was listening to the song Your Gold Teeth II by Steely Dan (an all time favorite). I was at work but it was a weird place. It felt like a castle in the sky again and I was sitting on the wall at the very top of it. The tallest level was the smallest and they got bigger as they went down, somewhat like a pyramid. One level below me was a young girl and she asked me what the song was and who was singing. She found it very interesting and had never heard it before and was smiling at how much I got into it, I was just singing away. I told her the song was never a hit for them, it was on the B Side of one of their albums, and I have only heard it on the radio once (that is true in real life also and I was totally gobsmacked the time they played it), but from the first time I heard it I loved it.

Your Gold Teeth II ~ Steely Dan

Who are these children
Who scheme and run wild
Who speak with their wings
And the way that they smile
What are the secrets
They trace in the sky
And why do you tremble
Each time they ride by

Throw out your gold teeth
And see how they roll
The answer they reveal
Life is unreal

Who are these strangers
Who pass through the door
Who cover your action
And go you one more
If you're feeling lucky
You best not refuse
It's your game the rules
Are your own win or lose

EEEK I've never really paid attention to the lyrics, the music always gets me on this one.

After I repeated the chorus to her, I was wondering what they meant by Gold Teeth. Were they like dice you kept in your mouth and you could spit them out and they would roll and give you answers? Then it ended. Now I am reminded of your dream about mega bits, it seems these 2 dreams are related and apparently Miss Kitty has lots of Gold Teeth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Purpleaura ~ October 15, 2006

Here’s another thing you can add to your weirdness, Miss Kitty is sounding more like you. She came in about 10 minutes ago complaining to me and she said, "Mum I hate these teeth, I want them out, I want to pull all of them out”. I asked why and she said, "’cause I hate them in my mouth, and I don’t like them”. I don’t know where she got this but she says she doesn’t care whether she has teeth in her mouth or not ‘cause she can eat without them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And she would be correct, I have no trouble eating most things without teeth. And that's all the confirmation I need on that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I started writing this blog a while ago but got sidetracked as usual. However people on GLP are talking about teeth dreams and TMJ so this seemed like as good a time as any to finish it. I too was diagnosed with TMJ which I now feel is just a by-product of grinding. I spent a bunch of money (what the insurance company didn’t cover) on an “appliance” that was supposed to cure me. It didn’t. And of course along with the appliance were the many dental visits to have it adjusted and realigned and all that crap. I finally just quit wearing it because my main reason for even going to the dentist was the daily and decade-long headache I was suffering which they attributed to my teeth. After having my teeth pulled I no longer have anything to grind, no more TMJ and the headaches I get now are different and the causes usually explainable.

Having all your teeth pulled for some kooky thoughts may sound a bit extreme, but for me it was far less worse than the piercing of a nose or tongue or belly button or some even more sensitive body part. Now that looks painful! I was eating steak two days after the procedure. And I’m certainly not recommending what I did for everybody. Lots of people have perfectly functional teeth with ne’er a cavity or slightest tinge of pain. And lots of people have a lot of problems with dentures. And lots of people don’t have the money which is sad because it shouldn’t have to cost so much. George Washington seemed to do fine with his wooden version. I was very fortunate at the time to be employed with a company with excellent dental benefits, otherwise the vice grips may have become my favorite tool.