Sunday 22 April 2007

Big Yellow Taxi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally Posted April 3, 2007

BWB has solved the mystery of the Matchbox #20. Don’t know why he decided to look into this on Sunday but its kinda funny the picture above was taken the same day. It shows an ebay ad for an as-new Matchbox Regular wheels #20 Chevrolet Impala Taxi. There are many other Matchbox cars in different series and such also named #20, but none of them hold quite as much charm as the Chevy Impala Taxi.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/MATCHBOX-SERIES-No-20-CHEVROLET-IMPALA-TAXI_W0QQitemZ290098770638QQcategoryZ56351QQcmdZViewItem

Not sure why but I seem to have this thing with Yellow Cabs for some reason. As far as I can tell it started on a trip to New York. And a trip to New York is a visual feast, you can’t turn your neck fast enough to take in everything you want to take in. And with all there was to see, one of the most vivid memories I have is the sea of yellow on the streets below the first time I looked out the hotel window. It was an unbelievable sight and something I’ve never forgotten. That was in 1985.

About 4 years ago I noticed a yellow fish painted on the street beside the sewer grate in front of the house. I learned later it was a program school children were undertaking to remind us of what we carelessly send down the drain on any given day. Not knowing this at the time, I momentarily wondered if it was some sort of mark of a professional hit man, like the dead canary on your doorstep. Not that I would have any reason for a mobster to leave such a sign, but it was still a curiosity.

I posted on a forum what I had found and asked if anybody know what it meant. The last sentence of the post was, “Is there anything I should know about yellow fish?” I returned to the main menu where somebody else had posted a dream from the night before titled Yellow Fish, and we both posted at exactly the same time, right down to the second. Her dream was about seeing a flock of Checker Cabs on Wall Street leaving the city that resembled a big school of yellow fish. So that was weird.

Then Purpleaura and I had a funny little incident regarding a taxi:

Miss Scarlet ~ May 26, 2006

This evening while sitting in traffic I saw a yellow truck the exact same colour as a Yellow Cab. I remember a few years ago when this colour became popular for cars. I didn’t think I would ever want a car that colour because then people would think you're a cab and I would feel obligated to pick them up and drive them wherever they needed to go. So tonight there's this yellow truck, and right behind it a Yellow Cab and it was cab #811. There were 811's all over it.

Purpleaura ~ May 26, 2006

I had to laugh, your story reminded me of my mum. She ordered a taxi to take her to her friends and in England they beep you. So mum hears a beep and runs outside and climbs into the car. The guy is looking at her and mum is giving him the address of where she wants to go. The guy turns around and says to my mum that he would love to give her a ride to her address but that he wasn’t a taxi. He had only come to pick up his friend and beeped his horn to let him know he was there. Suffice to say mum went bright red and left the car, and the taxi she ordered pulled up right behind them. We still have a good giggle about the time mum tried to pick up a guy in his car.

Back to the beginning of the story, BWB decides Sunday to look into this long standing mystery of mine regarding Matchbox Twenty and finds the Matchbox #20 Chevy Impala Taxi on ebay the same day it’s posted. And now we have even more weirdness going on because for one he knows about the Yellow Taxi thing and two he knows my "within reason" dream car is a Chevy Impala, late 60's to early 70's vintage. The gotta-win-the-lottery-first dream car being the Tesla electric car of course On top of that, both our fathers, born the same day, who both spent the main portion of their working years defending civilians (BWB’s dad was in the army, mine a cop), also both drove taxi for a short period of time before enlisting in their respective duties.

Still not sure what to make of all that.